Friday, February 18, 2022 / by Anne Rose
8 Week Timeline for Planning Your Move
It’s official, you are moving!Moving takes months of planning and then weeks of fixing what you forgot to plan for. To help ease some of that stress, here is a checklist of where you should be in the process for the eight weeks building up to your big move!
6-8 Weeks Out
- Before doing anything, take photos of your home for memories.
- Start a file of all move-related documents: contracts, contact list, etc.
- Create a budget. Decide if you’ll move yourself or hire a professional.
- Find referrals for covered doctors and dentists in your new town. Get copies of medical records and prepare school records to be transferred.
- If you have children, make arrangements to have school records transferred.
- Should it stay or should it go? Time for a garage sale and donations!
4-6 Weeks Out
- Cut all unnecessary shopping. You don’t want to buy food in bulk like you normally might. It’s subject to be trash in a month.
- Get the supplies you need: boxes, tape, bubble wrap, etc. Reserve truck rental. If you’re using a mover, color code the boxes. Begin packing non- essential items now.
- Submit change of address forms and notify creditors and publication subscriptions of your change.
- Contact your insurance company to transfer service and discuss items in transit during the move.
- Renters – check with your landlord regarding any move-out guidelines.
2-3 Weeks Out
- Schedule utilities to be cancelled the day AFTER closing. Plan ahead to have them turned on upon arrival at your new home, including making an appointment with the cable/internet provider. Cancel services such as landscaping, newspaper delivery, garbage pickup, etc.
- Plan meals around the food that is left in your fridge.
- Make sure the bank knows you’re relocating.
- Confirm moving help / company.
- Make hotel reservations for your time in transit if applicable.
- Make a plan for moving pets & plants.
- Determine if you will personally clean the property or hire a cleaning service.
1 Week Out
- The final push! Finish packing the remainder of your belongings. Be sure to mark what needs to be unpacked first and set those boxes aside. Consider “living out of a suitcase” for the duration of the move to avoid last minute packing.
- Pack a “first night” box with cleaning supplies, paper products, toiletries and medications you may need the first day.
Day of Move
- Do a run through of the entire house for all the little things you almost forgot.
- Open every single closet, cupboard, drawer. Use a flashlight for spaces that might be hard to see like under-stairs storage.
- Do not leave items in the home that were not agreed upon.
This information is provided by KBT Realty Group in association with Keller Williams. If you’d like to speak with us about selling a home, please contact us at 910-679-6577 or firstname.lastname@example.org